Water Authority Launches Water News App
October 25, 2011
The public now can get news and information on regional water issues easily and conveniently on their smartphones by downloading…
The public now can get news and information on regional water issues easily and conveniently on their smartphones by downloading the “Water News” mobile application, or app, produced by the San Diego County Water Authority. The app is available for free on the Android® and Apple® smartphone systems.
The app gives users mobile access to Water Authority news releases, videos, top issues, board documents, legislative information and a 24-hour water-related news feed.
“This app is an important new tool for enhancing our connection with the community,” Water Authority Board Chair Michael T. Hogan said. “In today’s world, people increasingly rely on their smartphones to follow important issues no matter where they are. The Water News app will make it easier for our region’s ratepayers to stay up to date on regional water supply reliability and related issues while they’re on the go.”
The Water News app features four main content areas:
- Our News: Includes Water Authority news releases and short video features.
- Top Issues: Provides summaries of important water-related topics and links to additional online sources of information.
- Related News: Features a news feed of recent water-related articles from various news sources.
- More: Links to pages where users can download board meeting documents, legislation-related issues, contact information, and more.
Users can download the app directly from their smartphone using the links listed below, or simply by entering “SDCWA” in the search function on their app store’s home page.
- Android Market™: https://market.android.com/search?q=SDCWA+News&so=1&c=apps
- Apple’s iTunes™: http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/san-diego-county-water-authority/id469946094?mt=8
The Water Authority is also developing a BlackBerry® version of the app, which will be launched at a later date.
The Water News app is the third communications project the Water Authority has launched in the last year to better inform and educate ratepayers about important water issues and the Water Authority’s efforts to provide the region’s 3.1 million residents and $186 billion economy with a safe, reliable water supply.
In October 2010, the Water Authority re-launched its website, www.sdcwa.org, with an upgraded design and new features that made it easier to find and share information via social media, RSS, and other digital communication features. In May 2011, the Water Authority launched “Water Talks,” a free, quarterly community forum program that gives participants the opportunity to learn about and discuss key water issues with Water Authority Board leaders and senior Water Authority staff. More information on that program is available at www.sdcwa.org/water-talks.
Additional information on the Water News mobile app is available at www.sdcwa.org/mobile-news-app.