The San Diego County Water Authority is again teaming up with the San Diego Botanic Garden and MiraCosta College to offer a WaterSmart Landscaping Makeover Workshop Series beginning in mid-September. The classes, which will be held at the San Diego Botanic Garden in Encinitas, are free and are designed to give participants hands-on experience with the essential concepts for successful turf removal and the design and installation of water-efficient landscaping.
The application can be found at www.sdbgarden.org/classes.htm,and for first priority registration, applicants should submit their paperwork by Saturday, Aug. 25 to email@example.com fax to (760) 632-0917. Space is limited, and the class slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Eligible parties must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Be a single-family residential homeowner (owner occupied)
- Own a working, in-ground irrigation system with a controller (timer)
- Commit and have financial ability to make over at least one irrigated section of turf to low-water-use plants
- Commit to attend all three workshops and two 45-minute coaching sessions
- Have an email address, internet access, and access to a camera (digital preferred)
Classes are as follows:
- Sept. 15 9 a.m. – noon Site analysis and turf removal
- Sept. 29 9 a.m. – noon Planning, plant selection and design
- Oct. 13 (time TBD) Design coaching session 1 (your plant plan)
- Nov. 3 9 a.m. – noon Smart irrigation system components and installation
- Nov. 17 (time TBD) Design coaching session 2 (your plant plan)
All classes will be held at the San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas CA 92024. These classes are made possible in part due to a grant from the Hans and Margaret Doe Charitable Trust.