These are the primary official court documents in the Water Authority’s legal challenges to rates charged by the Los Angeles-based Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
In four separate court actions, the Water Authority has challenged rates set by MWD for the years, 2011-2014, 2015-2016, and 2017-2018. In 2015, the Water Authority prevailed in the 2011-2014 cases, and the judge ordered MWD to pay more than $243 million in damages, costs, pre-judgement interest and attorneys’ fees. The Appellate Court rendered its decision on June 21, 2017. The Water Authority filed a petition on July 31, 2017 asking the Supreme Court to hear the case.
The remaining cases have been stayed by the court, pending the outcome of the Appellate Court. They have been assigned to the Complex Civil Litigation Department in the San Francisco Superior Court.
Learn more about the rate challenge here: http://www.sdcwa.org/mwdrate-challenge.
- 1st District Court of Appeal Decision - June 21, 2017
- Water Authority Petition for Rehearing - July 6, 2017
- Petition for Rehearing denied - July 18, 2017
Additional Appellate Court Documents
- MWD Appellant’s Opening Brief – May 5, 2016
- Water Authority Responding and Opening Brief - Aug. 3, 2016
- MWD's Reply and Cross-Respondent's Responding Brief - September 23, 2016
- Water Authority's Cross-Appellant's Reply Brief - October 28, 2016
- Application of Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District for Leave to File Amicus Curiae - November 11, 2016
- Water Authority’s Response to Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District’s Amicus Curiae - January 23, 2017