In celebration of Water Awareness Month, the San Diego County Water Authority is launching the Live WaterSmart photo contest to highlight the value of water and promote water-use efficiency as a lifestyle regardless of the weather.
Water is our most precious natural resource, and we know that dry times will return, so it’s important for San Diegans to keep making the most of every drop.
The photo contest will be hosted on Instagram (@sdcwa) from May 1 to May 31, 2017. To participate, take a photo that demonstrates how water is an essential part of your life – indoors or outdoors – and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first 20 participants will each receive two tickets to the Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park.
One grand prize will go to the photo that receives the most “likes” on Instagram, so encourage your family and friends to follow the Water Authority and vote by liking their favorite photos. Additional prizes will be awarded by the Water Authority based on originality, composition, and how well the photo connects to the theme. All photos must meet contest criteria.
Generous prizes have been donated by local businesses and organizations, including the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership, SeaWorld San Diego and The Cravory. Thank you to our sponsors! Stay tuned for more information on sponsors and prizes.
Contest begins: Monday, May 1, 2017
Contest ends: 5 p.m., Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Winners will be announced the week of June 5, 2017.
Follow us on social media for contest updates
Online Photo Contest Rules
- Participants must be 18 or older. Winners will be asked to show proof of age.
- Photos must be submitted to the Water Authority at email@example.com.
- Participants will be sent an email confirming receipt of the photo within two business days.
- Color, and black and white photos are acceptable.
- Submissions must include first and last name, age of photographer, full address, date and location of the photo, and a description of how the image connects to the contest theme. The description should not exceed 140 characters.
- Photos will be accepted from May 1 to May 31, 2017. The cutoff time is 5 p.m. on May 31.
- Winners will be announced the week of June 5.
- The first 20 participants will each receive two tickets to the Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park.
- Two grand prizes will be awarded. One grand prize will go to the photo with the most “likes” on the Water Authority’s Instagram page. The Water Authority will choose the second grand prize winner and runners-up based on originality, composition, and how well the photo connects to the theme.
- Grand prize winning entries must adhere to all contest rules and conditions. Grand prize details will be announced soon.
- Employees and Board members of the Water Authority and their immediate families are not eligible for prizes but may contribute images.
- Submitting a photo indicates you have read and understood the rules and are knowingly and voluntarily participating in the contest.
- By submitting a photo to the contest, the contestant affirms that he or she has obtained written consent from all individuals whose image or likeness appears in the photo. The contestant further affirms that he or she has obtained the necessary rights, licenses, consents and permissions to use all material in the photo and that no copyright or other intellectual property rights are violated by the submission. The contestant assumes sole responsibility for the photo and the material contained in it and also for the consequences of the submission.
- Photo submissions must not contain obscenity, explicit sexual material, nudity, profanity, graphic violence, incitement to violence, commercial solicitation or commercial promotion. Submissions also must not contain content or images that could be considered abusive, inflammatory, denigrating or disrespectful to groups, individuals or institutions. Submissions must be suitable for a public audience.
- The Water Authority is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected photos.
- The Water Authority reserves the right to disqualify, at its sole and absolute discretion, any submission that does not adhere to these criteria, or to contest rules.
- The Water Authority reserves the right to delete/discard submissions that don't adhere to contest rules and disclaimers.
- The Water Authority reserves the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the contest or take any action in its best interest.
- By entering the photo contest, participants grant the Water Authority and those authorized by it, a royalty-free, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce the entries in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational programs, publications, PowerPoint presentations, publicity efforts, and all other standard Water Authority purposes. Participants consent to Water Authority’s use of their names in any list of winners and for promotional purposes in any media without payment or further consideration.
- Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. The Water Authority will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
- The Water Authority assumes no liability or responsibility for any loss or harm resulting from any user's participation in or attempt to participate in the contest or ability or inability to upload, download or otherwise access any information in connection with participating in the contest. Water Authority assumes no responsibility or liability for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with participation in the contest.
- All participants shall hold the Water Authority and its sponsors, directors, officers, employees, and agents (the “Indemnified Parties”) harmless from and against all claims of any nature arising in connection with participant’s entrance in the contest and acceptance or use of a prize. The Indemnified Parties are not liable for any costs, damages, injuries, or other claims incurred as a result of participant's’ participation in the contest or winner’s acceptance and usage of a prize. The Indemnified Parties are not responsible for incomplete or misdirected entries, technical or network malfunctions or failures, or causes beyond their control. Participants are solely responsible for their entries.
- Participants may not submit materials that introduce any software viruses, worms or other programs designed to damage software, hardware or telecommunications equipment or are off-topic, partisan-political, contain advertising, nudity, personal attacks or expletives, or is otherwise abusive, threatening, unlawful, harassing, discriminatory, libelous, obscene, false, sexually explicit, or that infringes on the rights of any third party.
- Participants agree that all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Live WaterSmart Photo Contest Rules or any prize awarded shall be resolved by the appropriate court located in San Diego County. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Rules, participants’ rights and obligations, in connection with the Live WaterSmart Photo Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of California.